Focus on Conferences – “The best way to win money betting football is to develop a niche and follow it closely,” Moseman advises. If you are going to go with a favorite, it is best to place your bet early in the week when the sharps are laying heavy money on the points. “In trying to bamboozle potential customers, many services make claims about having scouts all over the country that give them inside information and promise 70 or even 80 percent winners, as if the bookmakers were the biggest suckers in the world. If you want advice about sports betting, find someone who has a successful track record. They use powerful computers that can process millions of bits of data and produce a more accurate point-spread line than the bookmakers.”
While these tips don’t guarantee you’re going to win, hopefully they can make you a little less square and a little more sharp in your picks this season.
. Bet at the Right Time – “The sharp bettors tend to bet underdogs, and they tend to bet them early,” Moseman says. “Squares usually bet later in the week and they tend to pick the favorites. On college you will be able to find different lines at different sports books. So underdogs tend to be slightly undervalued – except by the sharps.”
“Most people with an understanding of football gambling bet between 3 percent and 5 percent of their bankroll, increasing when they win and reducing when they lose,” Vaccaro says. If North Texas is his best bet on a Saturday then that is his bet. Otherwise, you’re better off doing your own research.”
But that doesn’t mean you have to bet like a “square” and throw away your hard-earned money.
Although exact figures are impossible to calculate, according to Jimmy Vaccaro, widely considered to be Las Vegas’ most influential bookmaker, Americans probably wager more than $50 billion a year on NFL and college football combined.
Certainly not back into the pockets of the average bettor. “When you’re in a good rhythm and winning, you want to increase your bets. The only touts bettors should consider are the ones who talk about the long haul and realistic winning percentages, which are in the upper 50 percent to lower 60 percent range.”
So, how much should you bet a game?
Another difference between squares and sharps is how they approach betting on game day.
8. But, when you’re struggling, that’s when you want to reduce your bet size until you get out of your slump. “The key to proper money management is to be sure not to bet more than you can afford to lose.”
Also, it’s probably a good idea to disregard advice from the myriad of ex-players and football experts you see on television each week.
Moseman agrees and especially likes home underdogs.
2. Research Football Services – “Most sports services realize that most people who sign up with them are insecure,” Gordon warns. Also, being “in action” can make a dull late-afternoon game (Buffalo vs. He loses year after year, according to Dan Gordon, a top football handicapper and author of How to Beat the Sports Books (Cardoza Publishing 2005).
7. The NFL, for example, will have very similar numbers at most of the betting shops you visit. “As for me, the best bet in football is betting the point spread or over/under totals on individual games. Slim underdogs regularly win outright. Chasing losses is the fastest way to the poor house.”
Betting on football games; whether it’s through a local bookie, an offshore Internet site or a Nevada casino (still the only legal place in America to make football bets), most of us have done it or know of someone who has.
Even Hollywood is not immune – think Two for the Money with Al Pacino and Matthew McConaughey.
So, how much are we gambling each football season?
Ted Sevransky, a well-known Las Vegas gambler and sports consultant with Sportsmemo.com, agrees.
6. “Teams play inspired ball at home. “For example, if you have a $1,000 bankroll for the season, you should generally bet no more than $50 a game.”
4. “Common wisdom says that over the course of a long football season the average man or woman will pick approximately 50 percent winners. “He is not jaded by teams and does not bet with his heart. If you like an underdog, it is best to get your bet in as late as possible, where there is heavy action from squares on favorites. In fact, sports bettors must pick 52.4 percent winners just to break even.”
And where does all that money go?
10. Drinking and Gambling Don’t Mix – “There is a reason the casinos in Las Vegas supply you with free drinks while you are gambling,” Moseman says. Consider Underdogs – “In the long-run, it’s easier to win betting on the underdog,” Konik says. Avoid Chasing Bets – “Don’t do it! There is no worse way to mismanage your bankroll than to chase your bets after a losing day,” cautions Moseman on the dangerous practice of trying to immediately win back your losses.
“In an average season, fewer than one bettor in twelve turns a profit,” Gordon says. Locks Don’t Exist – “Anyone who has watched sports for about a month realizes that the difference between winning and losing, especially against the spread, can be infinitesimally small,” Gordon says. “Because alcohol clouds your judgment and usually helps you to make rash decisions you usually wouldn’t otherwise make. There are almost an infinite number of scenarios that can happen in a single football game. There is a wealth of information on the Internet; it is just up to you to find it and research it daily.”
“A square or recreational player might have a vague plan, but after two Corona’s he will definitely run to the window and make a hasty decision on the USC-Notre Dame game because he wants to be involved in the party atmosphere,” Click This Link